Friday, July 3, 2015

A sailing holiday for Pragadeesh

During this summer holidays, Mrs Sabita Currimbhoy, our School Advisor, along with her husband Navaz Currimbhoy took Pragadeesh of Class 10 out for a sailing holiday! 

Pragadeesh took part in the Coast Guard Regatta, conducted by the Coast Guard and the Royal Madras Yacht Club.







Read about his trip in his own words.....

Coast Guard Regatta in Mandapam


The trip to Mandapam was the first time I was going out of Chennai, that too in a Car. I was really excited for the trip. Navaz Sir, Sabita Ma’ am, their family and friends and I started from Muttukadu in two cars  in the morning and went on the ECR(East Coast Road). Navaz Sir was driving one car and Sabita ma’am the other one. Normally I sleep when travelling a long distance, but that day I didn’t sleep for the whole day because the natural scenery of the lands and fields beside the roads were so beautiful that attracted my vision. We heard nice songs in the car and kept stopping along the way to find the correct route to Mandapam. We reached Uchipulli where Navaz and Sabita Ma’am have a house, around 4 ‘o’clock. Then we went to the beach in the evening. It was surprising for me to see a sea without waves. We played in the beach, collected dead Starfish, different seashells and stones, and went back to the Mandapam Coast Guard Station.
For the regatta, I chose to sail a Topper but I did not know how to rig it. So we learnt it from the boys from Kerala who looked tough and strong. The Coast Guard men were very friendly. The Lunch and the snacks provided by the Coast Guard Station were very tasty. The men over there played with us, helped in sailing, advised us about the dangers in the reef and also rescued the sailors who were in trouble. The Commander of the station showed us a funny video about his days in Mandapam. The wind was blowing around 30 knots. Everyday I took the Topper out to sail, I capsized and came back. For the first two days of race I was not able to helm in the race. The first two days the  races were cancelled because many boats capsized. But in the afternoons they conducted kayak races. The first time I tried I couldn’t qualify for the finals, but the second time I did but lost in the finals. The third day and the fourth day  were announced as race days. I crewed for one race  in a boat called the Sea Bird and we came second. During the third race our sail got damaged and we went back to the shore. The last day I went in the rescue boat. It was the most exciting day.
After the races, the Coast Guard people took us in a Hovercraft. It was a beautiful feeling.  The ocean Banana Rider was an adventure ride. The rider always tried to make us fall inside the water by making sharp turns. it was a lot of fun.

This was the first trip in which I got the maximum number of friends. Every day we went swimming, snorkelling and played basketball in the evening.  I got a lot of experience about sailing and a lot of fun in Mandapam.


1 comment:

  1. It was nice to read about your experiences Pragadeesh. Your excitement was contagious !
    I admired all the pictures and and to see the developments in the School.
    I can hardly recognise you all ...you have all obviously grown up, all smart and bright.
    Good Luck, Work hard and be good.
    My Love to you all.
    Vandna
    Vandna Thakur

    ReplyDelete